Many customers have asked us the difference between the Hybrid and Carbon models in our Ray series of kayak paddles. Here’s the low-down…
(photo courtesy of Headwaters Kayak)
Aqua-Bound's Ray series are some of the best mid-range kayak paddles on the market. The series includes the Manta Ray line and Sting Ray line.
Both of these lines are available in a Hybrid model and a Carbon model.What’s the difference?
We’re glad you asked!
Ray Series Hybrid Kayak Paddles
A White or Sunset Red blade means the paddle is a Hybrid—a blend of a 100% carbon shaft with our abXII fiberglass-reinforced nylon blades.
This gives you the comfort, toughness and feather-weight of a carbon shaft with an affordable-but-still-high-quality nylon blade.
Here are the stats for each our Ray series Hybrid paddle:
Sting Ray Hybrid
The Sting Ray Hybrid features a long, slim low-angle blade shape that’s ideal for low-angle paddling: the relaxed style used most in kayak touring and other settings with a relaxed pace.
This paddle is available in three different models:
- 2-piece with our Posi-Lok™ ferrule system: 30.5 ounces; MSRP $174.95
- 4-piece (for easy transport) with Posi-Lok™ ferrule system: 30.5 ounces; MSRP $184.95
2-piece with our Versa-Lok™ ferrule system (for up to 15 cm adjustable length): 32 ounces; MSRP $194.95
Manta Ray Hybrid
The Manta Ray Hybrid models are just like the Sting Ray in everything but blade shape. The Manta Ray’s blades are shorter and wider for power-packed high-angle strokes. This shape is great for anglers and others who are hauling gear, for large paddlers and those who have an aggressive paddling style.
Here are the stats on the three models you can choose from:
- 2-piece with Posi-Lok™ ferrule system: 32.5 ounces; MSRP $174.95
- 4-piece with Posi-Lok™: 32.5 ounces; MSRP $184.95
- 2-piece with Versa-Lok™ ferrule system: 34 ounces; MSRP $194.95
(photo by Thrive Visuals)
Ray Series Carbon Kayak Paddles
The Black blades on the Ray Carbon paddles mean you’re getting a 100% carbon shaft with abX carbon-reinforced nylon blades instead of fiberglass.
These paddles are even lighter than those on the Hybrid models. While a couple ounces may not seem like much, it makes a difference on an all-day or multi-day paddle trip.
Here are your options for a Ray Series Carbon kayak paddle:
Sting Ray Carbon
The Sting Ray Carbon features the same long, slim low-angle blade shape that the Hybrid model has. It’s also available in similar different models:
- 2-piece with our Posi-Lok™ ferrule system: 28.75 ounces; MSRP $224.95
- 4-piece with Posi-Lok™ ferrule system: 28.75 ounces; MSRP $244.95
- 2-piece with our Versa-Lok™ ferrule system (for up to 15 cm adjustable length): 30.25 ounces; MSRP $244.95
Manta Ray Carbon
The Manta Ray Carbon is identical to its Hybrid counterpart except for the blades. Here are the stats on the three models you can choose from:
- 2-piece with Posi-Lok™ ferrule system: 30.5 ounces; MSRP $224.95
- 4-piece with Posi-Lok™: 32.5 ounces; MSRP $244.95
- 2-piece with Versa-Lok™ ferrule system: 34 ounces; MSRP $244.95
(photo courtesy of @blazin_paddles)
No matter which of these models you choose, you know you’ll get a quality, ultra-comfortable paddle with great performance that’ll last for years.
Do you have a question this article didn’t cover? Contact our Wisconsin-based Customer Service team today: 715-755-3405 • [email protected]
More for you…