Even the toughest paddles in the industry appreciate a little love. At Aqua Bound, we know our paddles perform best when they receive the proper care.
(Photo courtesy of Laila Reigstad; paddler: Christian Harstad)
Here are a few suggestions to keep your kayak or SUP paddle(s) in tip-top condition for years of paddling adventures.
After Each Use
After you use your paddle each time:
- Separate your paddle halves. If you have a 4-piece paddle, remove the blades, too.
- Rinse each piece with clean, fresh water, including the ferrule. You want to remove any grit, bits of plants or sand that may have worked its way in.
- Examine the internal parts of the shaft to make sure they’re clear of water and debris.
- Store your paddle halves apart in a clean, dry, indoor space whenever possible. Keep the blades tipped up so any excess water drains out of the shafts and they’re allowed to dry out completely.
If you must store your paddle in a garage, shed or outdoors, peek inside the shaft before you take it out to be sure nothing unwanted made its way inside since its last use. Consider investing in a paddle bag to keep it clean and dry, especially if you have more than one paddle.
General Blade Cleaning
The easiest and cheapest way to clean your paddle blades is to wash them with warm water and mild detergent. This could be all you need for our plastic blades to clean up nicely.
Advanced Blade Cleaning
While the first step is always a mild detergent, for more aggressive markings you may need a little more potency.
Our production team uses two of the three-part NOVUS Plastic Polishing system. This system is a small investment—around $10 USD per 8-ounce bottle—but will help ensure a long and productive life for your plastic paddle blades:
- Plastic Clean & Shine: Use this to gently clean the blade and restore its shine.
- Fine Scratch Remover: Use this solution to remove fine scratches, haziness and light abrasions.
- Heavy Scratch Remover: We do NOT recommend using this product on our blades. It’s too aggressive, and may end up doing more harm than good.
Our fiberglass and carbon blades will benefit from occasional waxing to keep them looking their best
Our fiberglass and carbon blades will benefit from occasional waxing. Just be sure to use a straight wax without additives. Waxes advertised as “deep shine,” “cleaner and wax” or “wax and polish” include mild abrasives that could scratch our products and leave a haze on the materials.
Do NOT wax our plastic blades, though! It will cause hazing. Instead, use the NOVUS products listed above.
Also consider spraying on 303 Aerospace Protectant. This provides protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays and will help keep your blades’ color from fading.
Questions? Ask Us!
If you follow these suggestions, your paddle will thank you! Some scratches and signs of wear are inevitable, but hey, that just means you’re getting the most out of your paddle.
Going outside of these guidelines may void your paddle’s warranty. If you have questions about any damage or wear, please fill out our digital Warranty and Repair form. We’re happy to help!
Call or email our friendly Customer Service Team today with your questions: 715-755-3405 • [email protected]
More for you...